Mere Orthodoxy

has been moved to new address

http://www.mereorthodoxy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mere-Orthodoxy: "What the bleep do we know?"

Saturday, April 23, 2005

"What the bleep do we know?"

If you haven't heard of this cinematic sleeper hit, it's about time you did. It's a hybrid documentary/narrative intended to undermine the dusty, stale certainty in which many people spend their bored and boring lives and restore them with the fresh, uncertain vibrancy available only to those with the guts to stomach it. A daring combination of science, spirituality, and philosophy, with interviews with top physicists and killer cgi special effects, the film succeeds in being informative and experiential. Check out the trailer for a taste. The film has been recently released on DVD.

6 Comments:

At 4/25/2005 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Anderson said...

RAMTHA!!!!!!!

I spent much of my middle years about 40 miles from JZ's compound in Yelm, Washington. High walls, beautiful grounds--quite a place.

 
At 4/26/2005 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

So does the movie promote sort of a general skepticism about empirical or positivist views or what?

 
At 4/26/2005 03:56:00 PM, Blogger Jim Anderson said...

"Personally, I believe she is either schizophrenic or possessed, or maybe both."

How about neither? She's a huckster, a classic con artist, extremely wealthy because of her talents.

 
At 4/28/2005 01:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand corrected.

I saw the preview and thought it looked cool. I also made a few assumptions that the message of the movie was more along the lines of what I wish, rather than what it is.

A few quotes from the Reviews you pointed me to, Rocketman: "The movie is basically a bait and switch. I personally think it does a decent job describing quantum theory and some neurology, but then it makes these wild tangential claims that are loosely based off of science. The real problem I have is the movie also tries to pass those claims as scientifically valid as the neurology and quantum theory."

Knight has a school of enlightment and this production appears to be its exclusive creation. "All three directors of this film are students of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment. Director William Arntz reports that the spiritual influences in his life include metaphysics, Rudolf Steiner, the Theosophists, Carlos Castaneda, Rama, various forms of Buddhism, and Ramtha. Director Betsy Chasse has attended SRF (Self-Realization Fellowship classes – founded by Paramahansa Yogananda)."

I think this comment is especially good:
"If you're interested in Quantum Mechanics, pick up a good book. JZ Knight isn't the anti-Christ. She's a wannabee Eastern European-sounding pseudo-intellectual. The film is a joke."

I stand by the films innovative genre of documentary/narrative. I think this style has a lot of potential. We'll see.

 
At 4/28/2005 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Anderson said...

"Imagine the power of a similar movie scripted by the Faculty of Biola!"

Heh. Rocketman knows not what he suggests...

 
At 5/04/2005 01:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some members of Mere-Orthodoxy may or may not be in some way affiliated with Biola University and/or its constituents.

I don't think Docudramas are Craig Detweiler's gig.

Whoever does it, though, I think someone should make a million-dollar grossing blockbuster documentary (that's not political propoganda) and start the wave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home