Mere Orthodoxy

has been moved to new address

http://www.mereorthodoxy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mere-Orthodoxy: Eh?

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Eh?

Will someone tell me what's so great about this post by PZ Myers? If you read the comments, people rave about it, but frankly, it just doesn't seem to be very insightful. Snippets: I am not a religious person by any means (that is a bit of an understatement), but I can feel something of the same reverence for the Bible that I do for a piece of bone. It's a record, spotty and incomplete and flawed, of human lives, that leaves out far more than it includes. It's not as pretty as a bone, but then it is representative of some of the ugliness of human history, as well as of some of the poetry. I can appreciate it as a slice of a few thousand years of the events and beliefs of one fairly influential tribe of people. There are a lot of lives and time, mostly unmentioned, bound up in that book. And:

And, you know, there are people now who claim that one book is sufficient, that it is complete, that it is enough to explain who we are and where we came from.

Strangely enough, these are the same people who claim to be "spiritual". To me, though, they are the ahistorical, unthinking ones who fail to offer the proper reverence due those who have gone before.

Never mind that those silly people think it's ALSO the revelation of God of the Universe who happens to be nothing less than the source and center of all meaning. Never mind that. Silly "spiritual" people. (ht: Decorabilia).

2 Comments:

At 4/13/2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Jim Anderson said...

If you consider the Bible a complete record of humanity's origin and destiny--mind that adjective, "complete"--then his posting is directed at you.

If you think, though, that "all truth is God's truth," then there's no argument.

 
At 4/13/2005 05:47:00 PM, Blogger John Schroeder said...

Matt, I wish you had told me -- comparing the Bible to bone, that's "thinking," but the what you and I do, isn't? I guess I have to quit blogging now. If only I'd known earlier.:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home