Mere Orthodoxy

has been moved to new address

http://www.mereorthodoxy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mere-Orthodoxy: I here again get the feeling...

Saturday, October 23, 2004

I here again get the feeling...

...that I am re-discovering for myself what has been many times discovered by others. But each man must learn for himself, so I am bold to propose the following thesis: Everything to say has already been said. Frankly, I want to be famous. Not famous for fame's sake, but famous because of how much I have done for the world. It's not so much a desire to be famous as it is a desire to contribute. (It just so happens that all the people I know of who've contributed are well-known) OK, so if I am to contribute I must find something to say. "Find a need and fill it" as my dad says, describing the formula for success in business. I must go out there with a message and speak it and thus contribute. That was my plan until I realized: It's too late for me. All the glory to be gained has be got. I have read the Lord's prayer with a slant I've never heard anyone draw out before. At the end is "All glory, all honor, all dominion be yours for ever and ever, so be it." Perhaps this is less a wish than a statement. All glory simply is his. "Ah, but that can't be so, for what of the glory (the term used generally) of world leaders? What of the honor (an easier adjective to apply) given to them?" On this hypothesis, they would not really be honor and glory. Or it would be mere reflection. I don't know yet. (Thoughts?) So if the all-glorious already exists, and always has and always will, there is nothing left for me. Or rather, all that's left for me is imitation. We are eternally stuck as an understudy. We're backup. Ouch. How can this not influence everything I think and do? If it is true that everything there is to say has already been said, that feels almost too intamitely influential a truth. I feel the desire to deny it because of it's magnitude. I will deny that desire, though. I will think it true, as it seems to be, if God exists, until an argument persuade me otherwise. If you know "the book" that talks about this exact topic by "The divine 'he's already done everything' argument guy" or just the Bible quote that talks exactly about this, please quote, or cite, or point me in the right direction. I want to learn from others.

2 Comments:

At 10/23/2004 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Anderson said...

"So if the all-glorious already exists, and always has and always will, there is nothing left for me. Or rather, all that's left for me is imitation."

Maybe what's left is his approval. Maybe what we want, more than anything else, is for Him to say "Well done." Maybe if He will say that, we will have attained the glory we seek.

With apologies to Lewis. THE essay to read on this is "Weight of Glory," quite possibly the finest sermon ever written. It's at least the best I've ever read (which isn't saying very much).

 
At 12/04/2004 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Andrew M. Bailey said...

You could always forge the world's biggest spoon--and install it somewhere in Modoc County. Noone's done *that* before!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home