Mere Orthodoxy

has been moved to new address

http://www.mereorthodoxy.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mere-Orthodoxy: 4:20

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

4:20

In honor (or recognition) of April 20th as the day our continent has set aside to protest national marijuana laws I did a little research on the medical and social consequences of puffing the magic dragon. I've never smoked pot and I've only known a few who have, but it doesn't seem like the herb is nearly as dangerous as my 6th grade DARE teacher would have me believe. According to most of my sources those who only occasionally smoke the drug suffer very little side effects outside the 2-6 hour intoxication window. There is even less that suggests a national prohibition of the drug is doing much to protect society from its grave criminal consequences. According to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), one is more likely to commit a voilent crime under the influence of alcohol than pot. When county law enforcement can confiscate your car no matter what the value if you are pulled over and have pot even in your posession I have to think that the punishment does not fit the crime. Many who indulge in pot may make themselves slackers and drains on society--I wonder though if that is just a stereotype as well--but whatever the case, is it really appropriate to confiscate thousands of dollars of their property? Sounds to me like pot smokers aren't the enemy here. I can't help but wonder if we conservative Christians are just being killjoys on the issue.

A couple links to check out: Songs About Pot (from 1910-2000, listed by decade) NORML Official Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home